Dragons & Coffee

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A cozy place for gamers to discuss games and share opinions.

2 posters

Rigs in detail

grinus
    grinus

Rigs in detail Empty Rigs in detail

Post by grinus Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:26 pm

MULTIMEDIA/Casual GAMING:HP Envy m6-k010dx 15.6" Sleekbook Custom AMD A-10 5745 2.1 ghz (2.9 Turbo core) CPU,8 gigs DDR3 1866 SDRAM,AMD Radeon discrete class 8610G 768mb (up to 3 gigs for video),1 TB 7200 RPM Toshiba HD, Win 8.1.

Experiment APU GAMING: AMD A8-7600 , 8 gigs Kingston Savage DDR3 2133 RAM, Gigabyte AM2+ MB, Radeon R7 iGPU (up to 5 gigs for video), 250 GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 500 GB Maxtor 7200rpm,Raidmax Smilodon case, Win7 64 bit.

WORK: Dell Inspiron M5110 Laptop AMD A4-3300, 6 gigs DDR3 SDRAM, Radeon 6480G iGpu, 500 gig WD 5400 rpm, Win7 64 bit
    LunaFancy
    LunaFancy

Rigs in detail Empty Re: Rigs in detail

Post by LunaFancy Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Okay, so I dug out the documentation that came with my PC- let's pretend I have a clue lol! Better yet, you guys can tell me what I have, how's that sound? Smile

Straight from the invoice...

CPU : Intel core i7 4790 3.6 Ghz Quad
    Motherboard : Asrock H81MHDS
    GPU : Gainward Nvidia GTX 760 2GB
    PSU : 980 watt Quiet Power Supply
    HD : 1 TB
    RAM : 12GB

I have two laptops as well. Smile

So? Did I do okay building a gaming rig for someone who knew nothing? Not that I built it built it, I just built it on paper and someone else put it together, but you know what I mean. Smile
    grinus
    grinus

Post by grinus Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:54 pm

Ya, that's a solid system with space for future expansion. Good thought putting in that power supply.
    LunaFancy
    LunaFancy

Post by LunaFancy Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:56 am

I'd love to claim ownership of the concept for the PSU but sadly one of the sellers on ebay I was building it on to get prices popped up with the rec when I upgraded the card to the 760. Oddly, it was not the place I bought through in the end, I just kept the rec for the upgrade.

So when the Oculus Rift comes out- providing my animals haven't eaten all my money - will I have to mess with the motherboard to stick a titan or something in there?
    grinus
    grinus

Post by grinus Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:52 pm

Unsure what the Oculus Rift will need. It's still gonna be quite sometime before it's ready.
    LunaFancy
    LunaFancy

Post by LunaFancy Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:35 pm

It's set for release some time this year - northen hemisphere summer they say, so not so long. Smile There are people using the DK2 on a 760 but it isn't optimal. 770 is supposed to be the minimum requirement, but there's only a 3% gain over the 760 so I'm sure it can be done.

Going by the research I've done, I'd say a 780ti or better would be ideal. $$$$ enough right there without adding a mobo. Evil or Very Mad
    grinus
    grinus

Post by grinus Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:54 pm

I guarantee you it's going to get pushed back. The reason why I'm saying so is because until they can fix the nausea you get from prolonged use of VR, it won't release.
    LunaFancy
    LunaFancy

Post by LunaFancy Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Why's that? They've had the DK 1&2 out forever already. They've gone on record as saying only some kind of horrible even would stop the release being on time. I think it's going to come out this year, I really do. Smile

No nausea reports with the DK2 in ED...I've seen youtube footage of people playing with the roller coaster and landscape software that comes with it and no nausea. I don't think it's an issue now.

grinus
    grinus

Post by grinus Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:17 pm

DK2 is the latest development kit for the Oculus Rift that allows developers to build amazing games and experiences for the consumer Oculus Rift. This is from their website. Yes, the dev kit will release on time but no date for consumer version. That's the one you want.
    LunaFancy
    LunaFancy

Post by LunaFancy Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:03 am

Yeah, I was thinking about the DK2 but then found out they were going to release the CV was slated for this year. I can't post links and don't want to go admin so here you go
    from a Techcocktila article 28/03/15

"In June 2013, Oculus VR received a startup funding of $16 million to support them in building a bleeding edge Virtual Reality head-mounted display – Oculus Rift. One year later, in a surprising acquisition, Facebook closed a deal worth $2 billion for the development of Oculus Rift that will finally make Zuckerberg’s company the owner of the newborn VR device.

A developer version of Oculus Rift has been out for quite some time now, but where is the consumer version?

Well, it is expected to be out by mid-2015. The term was first mentioned by Brendan Iribe (CEO of Oculus) in Nov 2014 while speaking at a web summit in Dublin. He evaded giving a specific release date and only said that the launch was ‘close‘. Even though – in his words – “the consumer product is all but finished” he said that the company would be disappointed if the launch does not happen in 2015 and that it was only a matter of months before the product hit the stores.

Lack of an official release date could mean more than really meets the eye. Reliable sources indicate that the delay, which will most likely push the release date to later than previously expected, is not only a hardware issue.

Consumers
    Gear & Gadgets
    Alex Stoian
    @alexstoian
    March 28, 2015
    2:00 pm
    0 Shares

In June 2013, Oculus VR received a startup funding of $16 million to support them in building a bleeding edge Virtual Reality head-mounted display – Oculus Rift. One year later, in a surprising acquisition, Facebook closed a deal worth $2 billion for the development of Oculus Rift that will finally make Zuckerberg’s company the owner of the newborn VR device.

A developer version of Oculus Rift has been out for quite some time now, but where is the consumer version?

Well, it is expected to be out by mid-2015. The term was first mentioned by Brendan Iribe (CEO of Oculus) in Nov 2014 while speaking at a web summit in Dublin. He evaded giving a specific release date and only said that the launch was ‘close‘. Even though – in his words – “the consumer product is all but finished” he said that the company would be disappointed if the launch does not happen in 2015 and that it was only a matter of months before the product hit the stores.

Lack of an official release date could mean more than really meets the eye. Reliable sources indicate that the delay, which will most likely push the release date to later than previously expected, is not only a hardware issue.
    VR movie

Image from the stereoscopic 360° video at dawn from the roof of Mozilla San Francisco. Source: mozvr.com

According to the sources, the consumer version could be launched in a matter of months if hardware was the only factor at play. However, Oculus VR wants the product to be a worthy purchase for consumers by ensuring there’s enough content and games.

This perfectly fits in place with the fact that the developer version was released well before the consumer version so that developers can have a head-start and have content ready by the time the product is released to the general public.

Development is really moving at a fast pace with yet major releases set for this year. A lot of apps that make use of Oculus rift are already available for virtual tourism, education, arhitecture, and 3D modeling."

But then this from International Business Times makes me wonder if my worst 'FB ruining OR' fears are about to be realised.

"At Facebook's F8 conference in San Francisco, the social network giant has confirmed the company it bought for some $2bn (£1.3bn) just over a year ago will ship a product capable of playing virtual reality games before the end of 2015.

Facebook's chief technology officer Mike Schroepfer told attendees at F8 that virtual reality gaming is coming "this year" and gamers would be able to play in VR on "something" shipped by Oculus."

I do not like the emphasis on something. Sad

Makes me wonder if raiding the piggy bank for a DK2 while they are still available might not be the best idae...not that the piggy bank agrees mind.

grinus
    grinus

Post by grinus Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:11 am

Well, if that is happening then good news indeed. Smile
    grinus
    grinus

Post by grinus Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:12 am

You try this live chat yet?
    LunaFancy
    LunaFancy

Post by LunaFancy Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:50 am

No haven't tried the chat yet, not sure how it works tbh lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 am